We all know Halloween for the costumes, trick-or-treating and candy, but I bet you didn’t know these six crazy Halloween facts.
1. Second to Christmas, Halloween is the highest grossing commercial holiday. Retail spending for the holiday is projected at $9 billion.
That’s a lot of spider webs and candy!
2. The largest pumpkin recorded in U.S. history weighed in at 2,528 pounds in New Hampshire this past September.
Pumpkin pies for the state?!
3. In Scotland, some girls would hang wet sheets in front of the fire on Halloween.
Why? They believed they would reveal pictures of their future husband.
4. In colonial America, baking cakes was a fun Halloween tradition. Small items would be hidden in cakes as surprises that predicted the future.
5. Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween.
But isn’t it supposed to be scary?
6. According to the National Confectioners Association, a trick-or-treater’s candy consists of about three-quarters chocolate.