By Celica Cook, SBM Student Life Editor

This week we are featuring Emily Koontz, a senior public relations major with a couple tattoos that hold significant meaning for her. Both of her tattoos remind her of who she is as a child of God, and as a human being. This is what she shared about her tattoos.

What tattoos do you have?

“I have a cross on my right wrist, birds on my right shoulder blade, and a quote underneath the birds that read, ‘She rules her life like a bird in flight.’”

What do your tattoos mean?

“The cross symbolizes Jesus’ love for me, and I specifically wanted it on my wrist, so when I’m going through a hard day I can look down and be reminded of His great love for me. I got the cross facing towards me for that reason as well.  As for the birds, I love the symbolism of being free not being confined by society’s unrealistic expectations, so I wanted to get something that highlighted freedom- the birds. The birds remind me that I need to fly and be bold with my decisions. The quote is very special to me. It’s from my hero, Stevie Nicks’, song “Rhiannon”. First off, I love Stevie Nicks because she’s never afraid to be herself- and that’s a life lesson that I try to hold true to my own character, and these lyrics describe my life as a person. I am the only one in charge of my life and my fate. Like a bird, I too can fly into any dream, passion or calling and make it a reality. I never want anyone else to be in control of my life except myself, and Jesus of course. For me, this quote embodies who I strive to be everyday.”

What made you decide to get a tattoo?

“The meaningfulness behind the cross, the birds and the quote symbolize key attributes that I live by and I wanted to share these with others.”

What advice do you have for someone who is getting a tattoo for the first time?

“Make sure it’s something you’re one hundred percent in love with! I also like that my tattoos are in easy to hide locations, just in case an employer would have a problem with them. It’s just better to play devils advocate and air on the side of caution.”

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers

The Pulse