I am a frequent visitor to NYC. As someone who loves the arts and city life, I try to get to the Big Apple at least once a year. However, the pandemic has put this yearly tradition on hold. This past month was my first time both traveling to NYC during the pandemic and without my family. I had to quickly learn how to navigate the city by myself. 

Below I have compiled some tips on how to make your NYC adventure a success! Everyone’s NYC adventure and how they navigate the city is different, but these are some tips that I found particularly useful.

1. Plan in advance

Don’t be that person who decides to make a trip agenda as soon as you get off the train. Especially if you are in the city for a day or two, you want to make sure you are making the most of your time in the city. Do whatever you can in advance, such as making dinner reservations, buying show tickets, knowing what transportation you will be taking, etc.

1. No mask, no vaccination card, no entry

As of right now, there is a COVID vaccine mandate in NYC. If you want to enter any indoor establishments in NYC- which includes restaurants, gyms, and entertainment venues- you have to wear a mask inside and show proof of vaccination. Most establishments prefer a physical copy of your card, although some establishments will also accept a digital copy of it. When showing your vaccination card, make sure you also show proof of ID like a driver’s license or passport.

1. Walk it out

The best way to save money is to cut down on transportation. While it is convenient to call an Uber or a taxi, these expenses can pile up. With COVID still prevalent in the city, it is safer to walk outside rather than be crammed in a taxi and subway with a crowd of people. Not only is walking cost-effective, but it is also a good source of exercise. If you have to use transportation other than walking, it is best to take the subway.