Valerie Bell

zipcar

photo retrieved from zipcar.com

There is a new buzz going around campus that all students seem to be talking about – the Zipcar. Zipcar is the world’s leading car-sharing service that allows students to have a car on campus without the hassle of paying for gas and insurance.

Students who are 18 years and older with a valid drivers’ license can apply for a membership for $15 a year. The cars can be reserved for the day or a few hours through an app via smartphone or other smart device. The cost is $7.50 an hour and covers up to 180 miles per day.

Some students on campus have expressed interest toward the Zipcar’s arrival at Messiah.

“I am kind of curious to see how popular it will be because it seems like a pretty good deal with gas and insurance included,” says junior Jonathan Isaac.

The Zipcar membership offers an alternative especially for first-year students who can’t have a car on campus and also for those who don’t own a vehicle. The car service is also available for international students, faculty and staff.

First-year Erin Sweigert says, “I don’t have a car because freshmen can’t have cars here. I am doing [physical therapy] for my knee and need to leave campus and now I can.”

“It’s not bad pricing either. I would pay for this. It’s $15 for two hours and you can get a lot done in two hours,” first-year Pat Zahn adds.

Zipcars include gas cards and an E-ZPass for the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Students need to return the cars to the designated parking spaces outside the Larsen Student Union when they’re finished. Late fees will be charged for cars that are not returned.

For more information, visit www.zipcar.com/universities/messiah-college.