Jen Morgan

For this week’s edition of Tattoo Tuesdays, I sat down with Camillus Caem to learn more about his tattoo stories.

I learned a lot during my interview with Cam, but the most important lesson I took away? Make sure you stay true to yourself. Here, Cam explains more.

Cam 1

Senior Public Relations major Camillus Caem has seven tattoos.

Jen Morgan: How many tattoos do you have?
Camillus Caem Anak Nahar: Seven – three on my left arm, two on my collarbone, one on my finger and one across my right leg.

JM: Where did you get your tattoos?
CC: I got one in Las Vegas and the rest in Borneo over the summer.

JM: Which tattoo hurt the most?
CC: The hornbill bird on my left arm, near the elbow.

JM: What is the most common question you get asked about your tattoos?
CC:
“What does it mean?” and “Are you going to get more?”

JM: What is the most common misconception about people with tattoos?
CC: People used to always think that if you have tattoos, you’re rebellious or a deviant. Nowadays, I think it’s more well-known that you can have multiple tattoos and still have a successful life.

JM: Which tattoo means the most to you?
CC: 
Each tattoo has a specific and special meaning to me, but I think what means the most is how all of the different meanings complement each other.

Cam 2

Cam got most of his tattoos in Borneo over the summer.

JM: Do you plan on getting more tattoos?
CC: Yes, I do!

JM: Do you have a tattoo playlist? How do you handle the pain?
CC: 
Yes, I listen to music – my artist picks what we listen to. It’s a combination of Johnny Cash and reggae – weird, I know. He says, “Some people may think reggae and country are painful to listen to, but they at least help to take your mind off the pain of the needle!”

JM: Do you go alone or with friends to your appointments?
CC:
I go alone to my appointments since my artist is my uncle in Malaysia, Jeremy Lo.

JM: What advice would you give to someone considering getting a tattoo?
CC: Don’t worry about what people will think of your tattoos, but do make sure you think about how you’ll explain your tattoos to your future children. Friends and parents will understand since they know your tattoos are a formation of who you are.

JM: What is one thing you wish everyone knew about tattoos?
CC: 
It’s not about what you get – how big or small it is or how colorful it is – but it’s about being true to yourself. A lot of people are striving to find their inner voice, so getting a tattoo means making a permanent statement about who you are. After that, it’s partially about living up to what you decide to get while simultaneously saying, “This is who I am – deal with it.”

Stay tuned next week for another edition of Tattoo Tuesdays! Have more questions about what it’s like to get a tattoo? Tweet me @JenMorgan94 – I’d love to answer your questions.

B&W Headshot

Jen Morgan, Column Writer 
Jen is a senior journalism major from Boston. She loves makeup, puppies, cookies, tattoos and magazines, and will never turn down a trip to Sephora or Starbucks.