Jenna Stover
Student Writer

headshot_2_jane_underman_hs

Senior volleyball player, Jane Underman. Photo retrieved from gomessiah.com

Have you ever wondered how fall athletes balance school work and their sport? Well, we caught up with Jane Underman, a senior physical therapy major and member of the women’s volleyball team, to see what a typical Messiah day is like for her.

“There are four Mondays out of the season that we have 6 a.m. practices,” says Underman. If she has an early morning practice, Underman wakes up at 5 a.m., goes to practice, lifts weights and then continues with her two morning classes and her afternoon physiology lab. After classes, Underman says, “I would go back to my room and do homework and probably take a nap because I would be exhausted from the early start and long day. I might also have a shift working at Hitchcock or the weight room.”

After classes, Underman says, “I would go back to my room and do homework and probably take a nap because I would be exhausted from the early start and long day. I might also have a shift working at Hitchcock or the weight room.”

When she doesn’t have a morning practice, Underman has a full day of classes that would end around 12:50 p.m.. She then grabs a quick lunch, picks up a work shift and completes homework until 3 p.m. before she gets ready for practice. After heating in the training room, Underman states, “We do a film session before practice that starts at 4 p.m., that goes usually until 4:30, and doesn’t end until 6:30. I would get back to the apartment after showering at around 7:30. Then eat, study and go to bed.”

So how does Underman balance school, athletics and work? Underman says she attempts to find “…energy to complete it all and give extra effort in all areas.” As student athletes, a four hour time slot dedicated to your sport means four hours less of studying. Underman adds, “As student athletes, we have to be 100% student, 100% athlete. It’s so hard to put yourself fully in both categories. It’s hard to find that balance because as D3 athletes, we want to excel in both areas. That’s why we are here, but I think the thing I find the most difficult thing is after a game or practice, is to find the drive to get my stuff done.”

Underman adds, “As student athletes, we have to be 100% student, 100% athlete. It’s so hard to put yourself fully in both categories. It’s hard to find that balance because as D3 athletes, we want to excel in both areas. That’s why we are here, but I think the thing I find the most difficult thing is after a game or practice, is to find the drive to get my stuff done.”

While they’re battling through the difficulty in balancing athletics and academics, Underman and the rest of her teammates could use your support! Women’s volleyball has a two games on September 10th, one at 11 a.m. against Gettysburg College and the next at 3 p.m. against Moravian College. Come show your support and cheer for the Lady Falcons this weekend!

messiah_vb_hr17

Messiah women’s volleyball team. Photo retrieved from gomessiah.com