Jemi Lui

10-28Heather Erfley
Year:
Senior
Major: Education Dual Certification: PreK- 4, Special Education

What is your favorite thing about student teaching right now?

I love interacting with kids. I really do, I love it so much. Right now I’m in a special ed. class, first through fourth grade, so I get a wide variety of kiddos and their learning styles. My confidence is also increasing; I’m excited to be a nonconventional teacher, doing things differently than anyone has done before.

Looking back, do you have a favorite memory of your time at Messiah?

I have a lot of memories, but I’ll share the one that just popped into my head. So my friends and I went sledding—on actual sleds—down cemetery hill and all of a sudden I flew over this little bump on the hill. So I go up and over, got a couple scratches on my nose, had to wear a little bit of makeup to cover it up, but I had such a blast. We did it late at night—it was crazy, but it was fun.

What’s something that you’ve struggled with? How did you overcome it?

The hardest thing that I’ve had to do was serve at Camp Hebron this past summer. I served as a staff in the kitchen. I had been searching for months for something to do during the summer, and one day, God put Camp Hebron on my heart. It was really weird. It’s the hardest thing that I’ve done because I drove three hours, by myself, not knowing why I was going to do it. I didn’t know anybody, and I didn’t know what I was going to do, but I still went and followed what God told me to do. To this day, I still don’t know why God had me go, although this experience did bring me closer to Him.

What’s something you’re really excited for?

I’m excited for the rest of my student teaching. I love it so much. I just want to be who God wants me to be as a teacher.

What’s your favorite holiday?

Both Christmas and Easter, they’re both good. I love both for different reasons, and they’re both important to me.

If you could eat three foods for the rest of your life, what would they be?

Definitely salad—with dressing, oranges and blueberries because they’re good for your memory.