Jemi Lui

11-11Marissa Donlevie
Year: First-Year
Major: Spanish with a Teaching Certification

What’s the funniest thing that’s happened in a class this year?

There was one time I was in my first-year seminar and our professor didn’t show up. Being the first-years that we are, none of us left because we didn’t know what else to do. About 3/4 of the way through class, we got an email from our professor saying class was cancelled. We all immediately stood up and booked it out the door.

What’s your favorite building on campus and why?

I really like the Union. I feel like that’s a really cliché Messiah student answer, but I really like it because there’s just a really fun atmosphere that’s there all the time. There’s always people doing stuff; there are people being productive but there are also people having a good time. It’s just a really cool atmosphere to be a part of.

What’s your favorite place that you’ve traveled to?

My favorite place that I’ve been to is Guatemala. I love it a lot. I love the people there. I love the culture there—it’s all so focused on building relationships and loving each other. It has a very special place in my heart.

Why does Latin America hold such a special place in your heart?

I think because of the lifestyle. Everyone here in the U.S. is so focused on the task and getting things done and getting from point A to point B. Whereas [in Latin America] it’s more focus on things that matter. At the end of your life it doesn’t matter if you finish that paper or if you made it to that meeting on time. What matters is the people you influence along the way. Everyone there is so focused on building each other up instead of tearing each other down, which I think is really important right now.

What’s your favorite thing to eat at a place on campus besides Lottie?

I love the Southwest Wrap at the Falcon. I can eat it every single day of my life. It’s so good. I don’t eat meat, so it’s good that I have some fun options that are quick and easy.

What is a cultural dish you wish Lottie served?

I wouldn’t necessarily say that I wish Lottie served a specific cultural dish. I wish that they’d represent the cultural dishes a little better. While I do think Lottie has good variety, I think the different culture foods they have sometimes aren’t always accurately represented.