Photo retrieved from SAB Facebook page.

Maddie Crocenzi
Editor-in-Chief

SAB will host a free “Souper Bowl” party this Sunday at the Union that includes soups, a giveaway and the 51st Super Bowl game.

The party starts at 5:30 p.m. with the chance to sample different soups including chicken noodle, French onion, clam chowder, and broccoli and cheddar. There will also be corn bread and drinks.

According to SAB’s Special Activities Executive Tiffany Billings, “The idea came about because last year Kevin Villegas was the one who suggested doing the play on words with the ‘Souper bowl’ but unfortunately there wasn’t enough time for me to do it last year.”

Besides soup, the party also includes a chance to win a $50 Dick’s Sporting Goods gift card. From 5:30-6:30 p.m., students can cast their prediction on the potential winner and score of the game. The person who guesses the correct winner and closest score will win the gift card.

Billings says once the game starts at 6:30 p.m., she will stream the game from her laptop onto the Union’s projector.

“I know some people are super into the game so I thought about doing other things during commercial breaks, but I know some people are really watching it just for the commercials so I didn’t really want to take away from the game,” she explains.

This is the first Super Bowl event SAB has hosted since Billings took over as Special Activities Executive. There are currently no plans to make it an annual event, but Billings is hopeful the event will continue.

“I’d love to see how it goes and if it goes well I would love to recommend it to the next up and coming special activities executive,” Billings says.

Overall, Billings hopes the party will be a chance for students to watch the game, eat some good soup, and spend time with their friends.

“Watching the game with others is a lot more fun than watching it by yourself or not watching it at all,” says Billings.

Be on the lookout for other SAB promotions for the event later this week and make sure to get to the Union by 5:30 for the first ever “Souper Bowl” party.