Tyler Jenkins

This week I sat down with first-year communication major, Kyra Bond, to talk about her tattoo and its significance for her faith. After taking a J-term class with Kyra, I’ve wanted to ask about her tattoo, as I had seen it around on social media beforehand. She was a great person to interview for the last Tattoo Tuesday of the semester as she offers great insight on her tattoo and advice to others.

How many tattoos do you have and what are they?

I have one tattoo on my left arm, and it’s the “God is greater than my highs and lows” symbol. A lot of people have probably seen it before.

Where and when did you get your tattoo?

I got it on my eighteenth birthday at a tattoo shop called High Rollers near my home in West Chester, Pa.

How did you handle the pain while getting your tattoo?

I honestly didn’t think it was that bad at all. The tattoo artist used the needle on me without ink so I could feel how it would be and I expected it to be so much worse. It really wasn’t that bad for me.

How did you get the idea for that tattoo?

I was just scrolling through social media when I saw it and somebody posted about the meaning, and it really resonated with me and who I am. I thought it was the perfect idea for a tattoo since I’ve always wanted one.

What are some of the things you hear when people see your tattoo?

A lot of people come up and say they have seen it before, and they think it’s a really cool symbol.

Did you plan out your tattoo or was it spur of the moment?

I actually have a friend who has a bunch of tattoos, and he said to have the idea for at least a year so I wouldn’t regret it. So, I had the idea for a year before I really decided to get it, because I knew I wanted to get it on my birthday.

What personal meaning does your tattoo have?

For me, it’s just a reminder to look to God through the highs and lows of life. God is the reason for the good things and bad things that happen in your life, and he is still working through you.

Are you planning on getting any more tattoos?

Yes! My next idea is to get a mountain range tattoo with Psalm 95:4 which is my favorite verse. I don’t know where I’ll get it, but that is my next idea.

Is there any advice you’d offer to other people who are thinking about getting a tattoo?

I would just say that personally I had the idea for a whole year, and I haven’t regretted it. So, if you have any inkling of doubt on getting it, then don’t even get it and don’t question it because it’s permanent. Just make sure you’re a hundred percent positive on getting it.