Myriam Pedercini
Culture Editor

Shekie Olagunju

April showers bring May flowers and the dreaded question: “What are your post-graduation plans?”

Melissa Veras

“I tend to go blank. Where I am right now, I still have no idea where I will be going after graduation,” senior public relations major Shekie Olagunju said.

Senior social work major, Melissa Veras shared her thoughts that many seniors can relate to: “Whenever someone asks me what my plans are, I am completely overwhelmed with both happiness and sadness. I am excited to graduate, but also very sad to say goodbye to classmates and staff members who I have meaningful relationships with.”

Preparing for graduation is a different experience for seniors. The last couple of weeks of the semester are always a hectic time for students, but for the senior class, it is an emotional roller coaster. With finals week comes the lack of sleep, hours spent in the library and endless research on major projects. Then there is the job searching and trying to figure out living accommodations. Some seniors stay close to school, moving in locally. Others move out of state or even the country.

Julie Heisey

“I’ll be heading to Rwanda with MCC’s SaLT program to work and volunteer as the Capacity Building Assistant with their collective Rwanda/Burundi team,” senior economic development major Julie Heisey said. “Before I go I’m going to be working and living in Harrisburg for the short summer months.”

The pressure is sometimes overwhelming for many seniors.

Ben Talbot

“I think a lot of seniors are uncertain/worried/have no plans about their coming future,” biblical and religious studies and economics double major Ben Talbot said. “I think also many people are okay with that; it’s acceptable at least among my peers to answer that I have no idea yet where I’ll be.”

Piecing together the future and deciding on grad school or moving back home all are part of the process for seniors. Yet it’s always important to take deep breaths and remember that there are people around us who we can always lean on.

“Friends definitely have been helpful. I have a lot of friends looking out for opportunities for me and passing along connections,” economic development major Danielle Chun said. “It has also been helpful to talk about graduating and process with fellow seniors and friends. Staff and faculty have encouraged me and offered me advice and their connections. The Intercultural Office has also been a great resource.”

Danielle Chun

It is a strange time of excitement and uncertainty. Goodbyes are bittersweet, but the road ahead for the class of 2017 is full of endless possibilities.