Mikaela Mummert
Student Director

Update as of 8:00 a.m.: The momentary power outage at around 3:00 p.m. yesterday was the cause of the outage in South Complex. After this blip, facilities staff noticed that the transformer that supplied power to the complex was smoking. The fire department was called and responded quickly, arriving on scene. PPL was also notified.

The area around the transformer was roped off and power was shut off to South Complex to avoid any damage. Director of Facility Services Brad Markley explained that after PPL had arrived on site, they concluded that two fuses were blown in the transformer. To ensure the safety of everyone involved and prevent other hazards, tests were done to the transformer as well as extensive testing of the underground wiring. After testing, the transformer and underground cables were cleared and power was restored around 9:00 p.m.