Stephanie Bricker

What is your year and major?

I’m a senior public relations major with a minor in human resource management. I’ll be graduating in December 2018.

What is your tattoo and what does it mean?

My tattoo is the initials of my older brother, Steven, in his handwriting. Steven passed away in February of 2017 at 22 years old, after a long and extremely difficult battle with Lyme disease.  He was the strongest, most driven person I ever met, and he displayed that in how hard he fought to overcome this disease and all of the other obstacles life threw his way. My tattoo of his initials represents the lasting impact he had on my life and the lives of everyone he knew. I’m so proud to be able to call him my brother, so I thought displaying his initials on myself would honor him. My dad and younger brother actually have the same tattoo as well.

When did you get your tattoo?

I got my tattoo in May of 2017, about three months after Steven passed away. I wanted to take some time to design the tattoo using documents he had signed and decide where I wanted to place it.

What was the process of getting it like? Did it hurt? Did you bring anyone along?

The process of getting my tattoo was quite easy, actually! I gave my tattoo artist a copy of my tattoo about a week before my appointment so that he would have time to prepare a stencil. When I went in for my appointment, the outline was placed on my wrist, and the artist was finished in about 10 minutes! Luckily, getting it done on a soft part of my wrist only felt like a slight pinch. I brought my boyfriend, Regan, along with me. I was thankful I had him there to share the experience with me, and to calm my nerves a bit.

What are some common questions you get asked about your tattoo?

I often get asked what my tattoo is because I think can be a bit difficult to decipher what exactly it is at first glance. Once I tell people what it is, it then opens the door for me to share Steven’s story.

Do you want to get any more?

I’d definitely like to get more! Once you get one, you automatically start thinking about the next. I decided I’d only get a tattoo if it represented something extremely meaningful to me. I’m just waiting to figure out what that next meaningful idea is.

What’s something you want people to know about getting tattoos/your tattoo?

I think tattoos can be a great form of self-expression, especially when life-changing events take place. I love tattoos with significant stories, and tattoos that can be used to share one’s faith. My dad and both of my brothers have Bible verses tattooed on themselves, which can act as conversation starters in order to witness to others. If anyone is considering getting a tattoo, I would encourage them to get one that represents something extremely important in their life. It makes the experience all the more special.