Natalie Vermeulen

Name: Megan Hamilton

Year: First-year

Major: Biopsychology, pre-OT

Megan Hamilton—a girl whose joy and love of the Lord are evident through her smiles and excitement for life. Find her in Jordan Kline doing lots of science, or back in Naugle goofing off with her friends.

Is there anything you’ve done over this past year that you never thought you’d do?

I’m trying to study abroad in the spring of 2019, and I never thought that I would do that. During J-term my one friend was talking about it, and I was like ‘oh I’ll never have the opportunity to do that.’ But then I was talking to another friend—we’re all going to Lithuania, and I would never have expected it to all come together. And wanting to go abroad [is unexpected], because I like being at home, but I think that it’s taking a risk and going out into the unknown and that’s what this whole college experience is teaching me.

Did you have a favorite dream when you were a kid or something you wanted to do?

It’s still one of my biggest dreams, but it’s like way on the back burner. So you know the bands like Hillsong, or do you know Francesca Battistelli and Lauren Daigle? I love her and I love Lauren Daigle, and I would love to be a singer/songwriter because I play guitar and I sing and I used to lead worship in my youth group and church. But that can come on its own time and I can make another way to do other things that are just as impactful for the Kingdom, and have that dream come where it may.

You said you are finding new passions—what would you say those are?

I did not like science at all last semester, but I’m enjoying it a lot more because I made myself find purpose in it and look to where it’s going to get me. And studying the human body and how you can help people with different issues is very applicable and it just makes me want to do more for people. Knowing that I want to work with kids with special needs, or just people with special needs, that was a reoccurring thing in middle school and high school, and I know that’s a passion. I think that’s cool because that door has been opened. That’s basically the newest one. I still love books and English but I think I’ve decided I find more reward working with people on physical stuff, which I didn’t think I wanted at first.

What’s something that makes you laugh, or can you remember the last time you laughed really hard?

I think I’m the mom friend of the group…so I watch funny Facebook videos, and America’s Funniest Home Videos are like my favorite things. I watched this video [of a baby eating wasabi] at night like right before we were going to bed and I started laughing and I showed Lydia, my roommate, and all my friends the rest of the week.