by Kelly Webber, Summer Director

Whether it’s in a musical, Acclamation concert, or GiViM performance, Junior Dance Major Sara Parrish brings all her energy and passion to the stage at Messiah College. This summer, Sara is choreographing for LeRoux Dance Studio’s competition dance team.

On campus, Sara is a leader for Acclamation Dance Ministry and performs in GIVIM. She is a contemporary dancer with a love for ballet.

She hopes to use her passions as the foundation for a career. “Teaching and choreographing is the exact career path I want to go into, so I’m interning at my dream job. Can’t get much better than that!”

Sara’s performance in The Boyfriend

She is a guest instructor for summer intensives offered by the studio. In high school, Sara was a teacher’s assistant at a dance studio. Her teaching experiences, plus her Dance Pedagogy course at Messiah, helped prepare her for her internship at LeRoux.

“The best part is seeing how much the dancers I work with grow,” she said. “To me, they become my dance kids and I want to support every way possible.”

Sara points out that being a dancer means more than getting on stage. What dancers experience in the studio “isn’t just about dance. It includes life lessons and the person they grow to be.”

To those aspiring to pursue a career in the arts, Sara says, “Never give up, and don’t let anyone tell you that you are less than who you were meant to be. Take every experience and opportunity possible and soak up knowledge. There is always room to grow no matter what level you are or what job you land.”

Be sure to catch one of Sara’s performances this upcoming school year!