Natalie Vermeulen
Student Writer

Name: Drew Resh
Year: Junior
Major: Biology with a biomedical concentration

You can find him doing science in the cadaver lab, staying fit in the CrossFit gym, or teaching middle schoolers about Jesus at WyldLife—this is Drew.

How did you choose your major?

I chose my major because I want to go to dental school, and it seems like the best fit to align with all the credits, and I like all the classes that are in that major.

When did you decide that you want to go to dental school?

I decided about dental school probably the end of last year. In high school, I always thought about going into the medical field, so I was pretty set on going to medical school. But then I did a lot of shadowing over the summer and realized I really liked oral maxillofacial surgery, and that’s a dental school route.

Is there something that you look forward to every week?

I really look forward to CrossFit, because I have a lot of homework and schoolwork during the day, and CrossFit is a way for me to relax and do something active and just have some fun with some friends as well. I started doing CrossFit at the end of last year, and I got into that through my friend Nate who said that he thought I should try it. So I went with him one day to a class and I loved it so I’ve been doing it ever since.

Is there a piece of advice you’ve been given that has impacted you?

I would say talking about the importance of work ethic, in general, has been a big part of my life, and the idea of always giving your best in everything you do and working as hard as you can. That’s been a big influence in my life. My dad definitely played a role in shaping what I want to do and also my work ethic.

Do you have a favorite childhood memory?

I would say going to the beach every summer with our extended family is one of my favorite memories. We would go to the same beach house every summer, and I’m really close with my cousins and I have younger siblings as well, so we would all get to hang out at the beach and that was one thing I looked forward to every summer back in the day.

What’s your favorite song and why?

My favorite song…that’s so hard. I listen to a lot of country music. I really like the Zac Brown Band. One of my favorites would definitely be “Knee Deep” by Zac Brown Band. That’s a good one; it’s just nice and laidback.