Celica Cook
Student Writer

The physicality of a tattoo is not just limited to the skin it settles on–tattoos can carry spiritual meanings as well. For junior Heather Blauch, her tattoo is a spiritual reminder that she is not alone, and life’s valleys are followed by mountain peaks when all is said and done.

What is your tattoo?

My tattoo is a mountain range with the words ‘higher than I’ underneath it on my left arm.

What does your tattoo mean?

The words underneath the mountain range are from Psalm 61:2 ‘From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.’ During the spring of my sophomore year I kept seeing this verse repeatedly when I needed encouragement. A friend would post it on social media, a professor would use it in a prayer before starting class, and various other places. I started to use it as my own go to verse when being a nursing major was overwhelming. Now it serves as a permanent reminder that God has a plan for my life and I can accomplish anything He has put in my path; that when I feel like I am not good enough or smart enough to reach my dreams, He will be my rock and my support.

Why did you decide to get a tattoo?

I always knew that I wanted a tattoo, but I’m a very indecisive person so I never could pick something to permanently put on my body. I knew that whatever I decided to get had to have significant meaning to me, which is why I chose the bible verse. I also like that in the future I’ll be able to look at this tattoo and be reminded of what I have accomplished and how hard I worked for what I wanted in life.

Have you considered getting any more tattoos, and if so, do you have an idea of what you want next?

Yes! I definitely want to add more tattoos as I reach different points in my life. I have a lot of ideas right now about what I want in the future but nothing set in stone yet. I have always loved wildflowers so I know that a half-sleeve or shoulder piece of wildflowers is in the future for sure.

Why do you think tattoos are a valuable art form?

I think that they are a great way to express yourself. It’s a way to show people who you are and what you’ve been through. In my experience, it’s also a conversation starter and a way to connect with others. Although it seems like tattoos are really popular today, each one is unique. Each person has a different story to tell or a different interest that they decide to display in this way and that’s a beautiful thing in my opinion.